This Southern Blueberry Pudding is definitely an heirloom family recipe and classic Southern dessert. Airy meringue atop creamy pudding is really a scrumptious favorite and helps make the best blueberry pudding!
This blueberry pudding recipe is all about because a comfort food within the South because it is a dessert. One which everybody always anticipates digging into to obtain the perfect ratio of vanilla wafers, pudding, and bananas.
Grandmother always made hers having a towering meringue on the top from the pudding which was light as air and also the perfect in conjunction with the wealthy pudding. She’d ask my sister and me to make her recipe for dessert a lot of occasions whenever we were youthful women. It had been a request I don’t remember ever tiring of hearing. She’d ask certainly one of us to softly line the glass bowl using the vanilla wafers as the other sliced the bananas. We each had an essential job and also the pudding just wouldn’t work without the two of us finishing our tasks carefully.
Or at best she always made us accept is as true wouldn’t.
Southern Blueberry Pudding Recipe
Basically we were consumed with this responsibilities, Grandmother was busily cooking the pudding on her behalf stovetop. She loved to talk as she cooked, asking us about our day, telling us about when she’d help her mother prepare, or telling us in regards to a bird she saw when she visited your garden earlier. Her voice was always as sweet and velvety because the pudding she was stirring.
After we had our vanilla wafers and blueberry slices layered just like she instructed, she’d ask us to step away as she put the new pudding them over. In a few minutes following, she’d have her egg-whites beaten to some perfect salute and could be carefully distributing her meringue on the top from the pudding. In to the oven it might choose my sister and me to operate and stare with the clear glass door within the oven because the meringue magically browned.
That night for supper, i was anxious for everybody to taste “our” blueberry pudding because we understood it sampled every bit as good as Grandmother’s.
And each morning, we always understood she’d have her blueberry bread waiting upon us, too!
Steps to make the very best Blueberry Pudding Recipe
Ready in half an hour, you’ll certainly love this classic, heirloom recipe!
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Combine your flour, sugar, and salt inside a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Gently beat your egg yolks and whisk to mix with milk inside a large bowl or perhaps make use of a large liquid calculating cup, like a 4-cup.
- Whisk your egg yolk mixture to your dry ingredients within the saucepan set over medium to low heat. Stir constantly before the custard is thickened, remove in the heat and stir inside your vanilla flavoring.
- Arrange vanilla wafers at the base of the 2-quart dish, just like an oven-safe glass bowl or dish.
- Slice bananas and put on the top from the vanilla wafer layer.
- Pour 1/three of the pudding within the wafers and bananas.
- Repeat layering process, ending having a layer of wafers.
- Use very clean beaters and bowl which have been refrigerated for any couple of moments. Then, whip the egg-whites together with your electric mixer at high speed.
- When the egg-whites start to foam, add some cream of tartar after which progressively add some sugar one tablespoon at any given time. Still whip the egg-whites until all the sugar has dissolved and stiff peaks have created, then incorporate the vanilla flavoring.
- Spread the meringue over the top pudding, being careful to totally spread towards the inner fringe of the dish to totally cover the pudding.
- Bake for twenty five minutes before the meringue has gently browned. Remove in the oven and serve.
Here’s her Southern Blueberry Pudding recipe. I understand you’ll like it!